Saturday 1 March 2014

Reunions... really?

One of the many things in this life that I truly do not get is school reunions. Really. Reunions?

Why on earth would you want to go back to school after 30 or 40 years?

I have gone to schools on many occasions since I finished, but that is due to being a parent, and not in wanting to re-live my school days. My eldest child went to the same primary school as me and that was the closest I would ever want to go back to my school days. 

There are a few reasons for going to a   reunion and none of them are good.
·        Wanting to show that you are now a success.
·        See if the popular girls got fat
·        See if the jocks were ever educated
·        Hook up with people that you went out with as a teenager.
·        Show off the person that you hooked up with

None of these are a good enough reason as far as I can see. Anyone who was a true friend would have been a friend through life’s ups and downs.

I suppose you could attend and show that you have won, but, how sad. The only way this could be an authentic experience, is if each person had to do a true biography of the intervening years.
How overwhelming would an exercise like that be? How could anyone then actually feel superior?

The whole thing is that anyone that had lived a life full of happiness and sorrows would be a more real person, than one who had only skimmed across life’s experiences. Then the size of ones butt and wallet would not be of importance, but, rather the dimensions of one’s heart.

Having made myself even sadder about reunions, I will wish you well whether you go to your reunion or not.

Nameste’

1 comment:

  1. I recently attended my 55th high school reunion. I didn't go for any of the reasons you stated. I went because I thought it would be fun to be with the "kids" I went to school with so many years ago. And it was fun! No one cared if you were rich or poor, fat or skinny, married or not. We were over that. Will I go to the next one? Heck, yes!

    ReplyDelete