Saturday 22 June 2013

Anthropology: are you making it?

Here is a question: Has electronic storage of your history destroyed the anthropological foot print you may have left for future generation? Has electronic storage actually created a footprint that you can share? How many photos have you actually printed so that when your hard drive crashes or Facebook decides to throw away your posted photos you have something to look at?

It is also an interesting question of how will future generations remember you? Have you made anything that will be looked at and actually get a spark of memory happening? Have you done anything interesting so that stories can be told about you?

I have a box that contains my mother's family artefacts and I have also added items from my mother's life. There are stories from my family's history, but mostly due to the fact that they were on the frontiers of Africa. Most of the history has tragic overtones. I have tried to tell stories of their lives, but there are so many holes in the tales that it is just a work of fiction. I have photos of their lives it still does not bring their thoughts through.

I suppose that DNA is the one way in which we can follow the history of our ancestors and future generation will be able to see their path right back to us and then back to the cave man. Our little journey of passing on the human message has been encoded. I liked the Dune books where knowledge was passed down to the next generation. I suppose that is the nature part of it and then the nurture will reflect the history of the families that led to the way that we think.

The values we have are hopefully better than the previous generation. That is whatever generation you are from. Hopefully my children will actually have children of their own and whether good or bad, those children get to hear stories of my life.

Namaste'

No comments:

Post a Comment